A backhanded compliment for OpenSSH

Philip Yarra openssh at yarra.no-ip.org
Wed Sep 24 10:14:59 EST 2008

We recently commissioned a new WAN. Us IT folks have been using it for months,
using ssh and scp to configure systems, copy files etc. It all worked
perfectly, across Linux, FreeBSD and nanoBSD systems.

We opened the WAN to our regular (Windows) application traffic, and it
promptly fell into a screaming heap. Days of chaos ensued, until we found
that ethernet duplex/speed mismatches with the edge routers was causing loss
of millions of frames.

So here's the back-handed compliment: OpenSSH is too reliable, too robust, and
too tolerant of poor networks.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.