OpenSSH sftp(1) renovation project for GSoC 2009

J.A. Neitzel gsocsftp at v6shell.org
Sat Apr 4 14:18:54 EST 2009

Hello,

Please pardon me if this is off topic, but I thought I ought to
introduce myself.

I submitted an application (aka student proposal) to OpenSSH via
GSoC on Thursday (2009-04-02 19:39:21Z).  Of course, I cannot know
if it will be accepted, but in any case, here is the abstract for
anybody on the list who may be interested in offering feedback:

The objective of the OpenSSH sftp(1) renovation project is to improve
the current sftp(1) client to allow its use as a drop-in replacement
for scp(1). This requires implementing both recursive uploads/downloads
and an scp(1)-compatible command-line interface. The scp(1) command
has an `-r' flag for recursive transmission, but sftp(1) does not
currently support this except by manual user intervention in
interactive mode. Additionally, sftp(1) interactive-mode tab
completion will be integrated.

I searched for sftp-related bugs in Bugzilla and found several
related to my project plan in one way or another.  Beside the issues
mentioned in the above abstract (which are in the bug list), there
are a few others which should could/should/would likely be addressed
in my plan as well.

Cheers,
Jeff
--