sftp Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer

Jon Grant jg at jguk.org
Mon Apr 6 03:53:45 EST 2009

Hello

I saw this error below. My feeling is that the second line is not
needed. Would a patch be accepted to change it? If it's easy enough to
do I could probably track down the bit of code generating it.

the ssh error is also not quite as good as it could be, My feeling is
that it doesn't need to tag "Name or service not known" on to the end
of the line when it has already said it Could not resolve the
hostname!

Please include my email address in any replies as I am not on this mailing list.

Regards, Jon

j at laptop:~$ sftp oops at unknown-web-qbcdef.com
Connecting to unknown-web-qbcdef.com...
ssh: Could not resolve hostname unknown-web-qbcdef.com: Name or
service not known
Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer
j at laptop:~$

j at laptop:~$ ssh unknown-web-qbcdef.com