ssh localhost yes | true

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Apr 21 16:53:08 EST 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Kyle McKay wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> On Apr 20, 2009, at 23:10, Damien Miller wrote:
> >
> > This doesn't look like bug#85 based on what you sent below. It looks
> > more like a whatever that you were running failing to notice its stdout
> > closing.
>
> Actually after looking at this some more, I think Apple's sshd is just
> missing the Bug 85 patch and I think the debug messages back this up.

No, Apple's sshd clearly does have the bug #85 patch:

>  debug2: channel 0: rcvd eow

Would not be printed otherwise. Perhaps they have forcibly disabled
USE_PIPES in session.c? It is required for the patch to correctly
function.

> And in this case sshd included the Bug 85 fix and so was using pipes to
> communicate with the child and the child therefore got a SIGPIPE on the input
> open -> closed transition and exited.

No, in both cases the signalling between sshd and the child process is
identical from the logs. There may be differences depending on whether
Apple has modified their sshd to avoid using pipes (thwarting the
half-close fix in the process), but you will need to post a full debug
log from the server to tell.

-d