Feature request for SSH FTP

Ben Lindstrom mouring at eviladmin.org
Sun Aug 9 14:57:11 EST 2009

On Aug 8, 2009, at 10:46 PM, dawg wrote:

> I suppose that is true -- I don't know the specifics since I do not
> use SFTP via command line but rather via an SFTP client, FileZilla,
> in my particular case. I had actually earlier tonight suggested the
> functionality you noted below as a workaround (on the client end) to
> what I believed would be optimally solved automatically on the
> server side.  Do you disagree that the best possible implementation
> should solve the problem automatically on the server side?

I very much disagree.  Making "put" hold two copies of a file by
default would cause people transferring large files to have failures.

> In my mind, this seems half way between a feature request and a bug
> report.

It isn't a bug.  There is no defect to report.  You are requesting a
new feature.  And I can see making a request for a mktemp(3) feature.
However, this would be specialized to OpenSSH's servers, and FileZilla
may prefer a more universal feature set.

This is definitely a client-side problem and not a server side.

- Ben