Feature request for SSH FTP

dawg dirTdogE at Gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 01:41:34 EST 2009

On 08/09/2009 11:02 AM, Hamish Allan wrote:
>> Actually, the sshd could check whether there is enough disk space while
>> uploading the files and make the choice automatically.
>>

> As could the client.

..Or the user could manually check and calculate this all himself for
every transfer. That doesn't mean that's the best solution or the only
one which could be applied. There is also the practicality matter of
communicating to every client developer versus fixing the problem on the
server end, the end which is the source of the (perhaps unexpected (and
definitely sub-optimal)) behavior.

It doesn't matter how you intend the software to be used, it matters how
it is used and how the end user or developer expects it to behave. The
bottom line is that you can ensure quality by addressing the issue, or
you can blame the rest of the world for not reading either your mind or
the documentation, whichever happens to be applicable, and allow the end
user to suffer the consequences, whether they are aware of those
consequences or not.
>> That's ridiculous. The one in a million case versus the 999,999 in a
>> million cases? Disk space is rarely an issue that would affect this. It
>> could be made an option to be toggled via config in any case.
>>

> Disk space may be rarely an issue for you, but get some perspective.
> You are only one user; what about the other 999,999?
>

>> Sure it is. The current implementation corrupts the existing file for a
>> period of time.
>>

> Which is what the client asks it to do. If the client wants something
> else to happen, why not just ask for it?

Ah, yes, the infamous 'corrupt file' command. Give me a break.