About sftp chroot dev!

Henrique Fernandes sf.rique at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 03:31:14 EST 2009

I have an question, why you guys do not let chroot be owned by the user ?

It would be a good way to chroot the users

Cause like

I want to chroot user in /chroot/%u

But they can not write in this directory... i need to set another dir to
them to be able to write, even when /chroot/ is onewd by root

i want to be able to do this

user1     be able to write in /chroot/user1   but not able to go down into
/chroot/
user2    same thing here.

In that way, user1 will not be able even know if there is other files
there...

But with your code i have to do this

set chroot dir to /chroot/ and set home in /etc/passwd  to /user1

But when uer 1 logs in he see   /user1   and if he gos down with cd .. he is
hable to see user2 and move around

Is there anyway to do what i want ?

And can you guys explain to me why the chroot path HAS to be owned by root ?

Sorry , i know i am beeing annoying

And Thanks anyway!

--
[]'sf.rique