PermitUserEnvironment in sshd match block?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Aug 26 11:27:47 EST 2009

Daniel Allen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our campus environment would find it very useful to pass
> user-environment variables for certain login ssh connections, but of
> course want to avoid the security problems with LD_PRELOAD and
> PermitUserEnvironment as described in sshd_config manpages.
>
> Would the best answer be a patch that adds PermitUserEnvironment support
> inside match blocks?

That seems like a reasonable thing to do.

> Are there technical or other reasons this has
> already been considered and rejected?

The approach to adding things to Match has been on a case by case basis,
checking if the thing is a) useful and b) safe.  It's a lot easier to
evaluate these thing one at a time than in a large batch of them.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.