Question on SSH_ASKPASS

Jan Alphenaar jan.alphenaar at dotcolour.com
Thu Dec 24 09:40:56 EST 2009

Hi everybody,

I have asked a question a long time ago regarding SSH_ASKPASS, but with the
latest version of OpenSSH I am not able to get the desired result.

My goal is to launch a script on a remote server via SSH without having to
type a password, because it is locally executed from a script. This should
not be too complicated, but somehow I am not able to figure this out myself.

I have configured the variables SSH_ASKPASS=<password_script> and
DISPLAY=nodisplay. My password_script just contains echo "password", nothing
else.

Now if I execute this ssh command:

ssh -T jan@<dest_host> "/<script_dir>/<script>"

It still asks me for a password. This command though

setsid ssh -T jan@<dest_host> "/<script_dir>/<script>"

does work as expected, it launches the remote script.

I know ssh should support this out of the box, so I want to get rid of
setsid.

Any help or directions are appreciated.

Warm regards,

Jan