Hung connection over Juniper Tunnel

Jason Benguerel jason at bakafish.com
Fri Feb 6 19:51:07 EST 2009

I have disabled TCP Window scaling on both the client and server. I
also confirmed that there are no MTU issues using ping (with the no
fragment flag and full payload.) There are reports of Juniper
firewalls causing similar issues, but I have applied the supposed
workaround of disabling TCP sequence checking (which they claim stops
the window scaling issue) and still have no results.

The sshd server is still replying with:

debug1: server_input_channel_open: ctype session rchan 0 win 1048576
max 16384

Which looks to me as if it is still trying to set a variable TCP
window despite turning the feature off via:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

Is there some other way to disable this in ssh/sshd?

Jason