Restrict commands available in an SFTP session

Jason Dickerson jason.dickerson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 14:51:20 EST 2009

I see your point about file permissions being fairly effective; however, I
need to be able to keep users from changing file permissions with chown,
chmod, and chgrp.  I do not see how file permissions can accomplish this.

My goal is to allow certain SFTP users into shared folders whose access is
controlled by ACL's, in such a way they cannot give unauthorized users
access to the shared folder.  For instance...

I have a chroot jail at /mountpoint/sftp.  Within this there are home
directories for users at /mountpoint/sftp/home/user.  Also, there are shared
folders at /mountpoint/sftp/shared/folder1, /mountpoint/sftp/shared/folder2,
etc...  When user1 logs in, they are automatically put in
/mountpoint/sftp/home/user1.  By ACL, user1 has access to
/mountpoint/sftp/shared/folder1, but not .../folder2.  Also, user2 has ACL
access to /mountpoint/sftp/shared/folder2, but not .../folder1.  There is no
way to keep user1 from performing "chmod 777 /shared/folder1"; thus giving
user2 (or any other user) unauthorized access to /shared/folder1 within the
chroot jail.

I know to some this may seem paranoid or "hokey", but I really have a good
reason for this.

Any suggestions, would be welcome.

Jason