forward the dbus session?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Feb 15 07:18:56 EST 2009

Jefferson Ogata wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > But in general, DBUS is the glue that binds disparate desktop
> > applications together, allowing them to send and receive signals.  It
> > would be nice if a desktop app started on a remote machine but displaying
> > to my local desktop could interact with my desktop as if I ran it locally.
>
> I generally handle this by running a remote X server under vncserver,
> and simply forwarding a VNC client connection over SSH.

When I need this then this is what I normally do as well.  It is
simple and uncomplicated.

I worry that dbus is a large and incompletely documented system
environment with many dependencies and tendrils.  It isn't something
that is easy to fully understand at one sitting.  I do not understand
it after many sittings.  Coding it into ssh probably isn't a general
purpose solution.  It doesn't feel like the right direction to me.

Bob