Idea: reverse socks proxy

Dylan Jay dylan at dylanjay.com
Tue Feb 17 14:10:20 EST 2009

Hi,

Just a usecase that I'm sure has been covered before but just in case
its not an openssh solution would be very helpful.

I was trying to install software on a server that was firewalled so no
outbound http connections would work. I was also tunnelling via
another server. Outbound ssh connections also were a convenient option.

What would have been nice would be a remote version of the dynamic
socks proxy ssh -D, so I could for instance

 > ssh me at remote --remote-socks=8123
remote> export http_proxy=localhost:8123
remote> wget --spider www.google.com

Instead I had to do the following