How to encode Non-English directories and filenames

Pulkit Singhal pulkitsinghal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:12:08 EST 2009

Hello All,

I have a custom client which successfully connects to the SSH server
both on cygwin/OpenSSH-server running on windows and to standard SSH
servers runnign on Linux.

If I send a command like the following in bytes:
====
mkdir <Shift_JIS_characters>
====
after having encoded the whole command in bytes with Shift_JIS, to a
linux SSH server ... it works.

BUT if I send a similar command to a cygwin/SSH-server on windows, it fails.

It seems like the OpenSSH implementation does not honor the default
system encoding specified by the windows operating system for
non-Unicode programs.

1) Can someone please hint at what kind of encoding the OpenSSH server
would prefer to get its data or decipher user commands in?
I hope you say something like UTF-8 or a similar superset.

2) Can you also maybe recommend how to escape my characters, if that's
the way to go?
Right now if I browse to an existing directory (from the server
machine itself using cygwin and NOT my client) with
<Shift_JIS_characters> I can see that it likes to escape in this
manner: cd \220V\202\265\202\242\203t\203H\203\213\203_/
I just don't know what kind of escape-sequence notation this is ... it
seems to resemble Unicode escapes but not exactly.

Looking forward to your input .... Thanks!