Feature request: "SetupCommand" invoked before connecting

Helmut Grohne helmut at subdivi.de
Thu Jul 9 17:16:10 EST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:54:18PM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> If you need to do work before a ssh session, why not just make a shell
> script and, optionally, alias ssh to point to your shell script?

This was listed as solution 2. An alias will especially not work with
programs like scp (and I don't want to change every location I invoke
ssh). One can still add a second ssh program in $PATH, but that would
require parsing ssh options to find out which host is to be connected.
Configuration that belongs to ssh would also be separated from ssh. All
in all the proposed addition of a configuration item looks much cleaner
to me. Still all mentioned solutions work including this one.

Helmut