Restrict port forwarding on server

Tauseef Afzal saify37 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 13 14:37:08 EST 2009

 hey Adriana,
             you can also restrict port forwarding by using iptables, as when iptables service is started it blocks all ports except the ones which are defined in its configuration file which is located at /etc/sysconfig/iptables in Red Hat/Centos systems, to open a specific port through iptables firewall, you have to add a line which looks like

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -p udp -m udp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT

you have to make configuration of your own for this, the above two lines will open the port 8080 for tcp and udp traffic, figure out the ports which you want to be opened and define them in the iptables file, if you want to read more about this, follow the link

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch14_:_Linux_Firewalls_Using_iptables