scp Output Feature

Clayton Shepard Clayton at Shepard.me
Sun Jun 28 01:10:06 EST 2009

I propose a new feature that enables scp to print its status on newlines as
well as output to file descriptors that are not terminals.  This will allow
for more robust logging as well as enable progress parsing for programs such
as zenity.

The only workaround that I found that does not involve modifying the scp
source uses pseudo terminals:
http://cwshep.blogspot.com/2009/06/showing-scp-progress-using-zenity.html

The patch is fairly trivial and was tested on release 5.2p1 and modifies
scp.c, progressmeter.h, and progressmeter.c.  The feature is enabled via a
'-n' switch.

Thank You,

Clayton Shepard