question on using keys

John Griessen john at foseda.com
Mon Mar 9 07:37:34 EST 2009

Peter Stuge wrote:

>> debug2: key: /home/routem/.ssh/id_rsync_rsa (0x7007dae0)
>
> This is also as expected. ssh has now loaded your key.
>

> Keyfile handling was unified so that the user does not have to say
> which type of key each file contains. The flip side is that there
> will always be an error message.

Thanks,

Still not working.  I have a keyfile id_rsync_rsa.pub that starts with ssh-rsa
and a keyfile id_rsync_rsa    that starts with    -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY----
on the first machine.

in .ssh of 2nd machine I moved authorized_keys2 to authorized_keys

john at toolbench:~/.ssh$ lla
total 40
drwx------   2 john cibolo  4096 2009-03-08 15:30 .
drwxrwxr-x 162 john cibolo 12288 2009-03-08 15:25 ..
-rw-------   1 john john     963 2006-10-15 13:26 IDENTITY
-rw-r--r--   1 john john     963 2006-10-15 13:26 IDENTITY.cibolo
-rw-------   1 john john     397 2009-03-07 15:04 authorized_keys

Here's the debug output now:

debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug2: key: /home/routem/.ssh/id_rsync_rsa (0x7007dae0)
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,password
debug3: preferred gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,gssapi,publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey

jg] looks good....

debug1: Offering public key: /home/routem/.ssh/id_rsync_rsa

jg] above is naem of priv key....

debug3: send_pubkey_test
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method

jg] above doesn't jive with previous "we sent a publickey packet"  why?

debug3: authmethod_lookup password

drops to password method....

John Griessen