scp: rounding bug in displayed transfer rate?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Mar 21 03:55:34 EST 2009

Brolin Empey wrote:
> Incidentally, I think this discussion list should allow rich
> (hyper)text mail so I can link parts of my prose instead of pasting
> URLs:

Please no.

> in the case of the previous paragraph, the pasted URL is almost
> as long as the sentence on the previous line — even when using a

Is that important?  It doesn't seem to matter.

> Why am I limited to plain text when using a computer to write about
> computer software?

More value is place on function over form.

Plain text email is viewed using the recipient's preferred fonts and
colors, which enhances accessibility.  HTML email is viewed using the
sender's preferred fonts and colors, which often make reading the
message harder for the recipient.  Senders cannot know what the best
form is for the recipient.

> Perhaps I am too contemporary for this discussion list:  I am writing
> this message in a proportional font in Gmail's Web interface in
> Mozilla Firefox on Windows Vista with subpixel font antialiasing on a
> widescreen LCD monitor. ;)

I am happy that you have cool toys to play with but Email is written
to be read by others.  If others find it harder to read then it isn't
accomplishing a good result.

Bob