OpenSSH GSoC Project

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 24 07:14:04 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:58:49 -0500, Peter Stuge wrote:

> sftp (and to a degree SFTP, the protocol itself) can easily be
> changed and improved. Even the user interface can (and should)
> change, for the better. SFTP is the future.
>
> The OpenSSH sftp client is, as said, not so impressive, and it needs
> some love to really shine. The tool can be improved in many ways,
> internally and externally. Recursive transfers is just one thing.

As long as improvements to sftp are being discussed, the addition of
reget/reput support would be _very_ nice. I know the topic has come up
on the mailing list a few times and there was at least one bug opened on
this issue. But, unfortunately, it never seemed to get much traction.

When dealing with large transfers (100GB+), the ability to resume an
interupted transfer would be very handy.

--
Iain Morgan