scp: rounding bug in displayed transfer rate?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Mar 24 06:45:22 EST 2009

On 03/21/2009 05:17 PM, Brolin Empey wrote:
> Anyway, I apologise for sidetracking this discussion.  I will now
> attempt to get back on track.

So, speaking of "scp: rounding bug in displayed transfer rate"...

Other tools appear to deal with this same problem in a different way:

  http://blog.rupamsunyata.org/2009/03/23/artificial-intelligence.xhtml

our machines are clearly capable of measuring timestamps with finer
granularity than 1 second, even if they report human-comprehensible
times to the (presumably human) user.

I wouldn't see a reason reject a patch that allowed scp to produce
output of "42B/s" if 1 byte gets transferred in 1/42 seconds.

	--dkg