OpenSSH GSoC Project

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Mar 26 22:56:42 EST 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Jan Pechanec wrote:

> 	some SFTP implementations on Win platform support version 4. That's
> defined in draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-04.txt, and the next -05.txt bumps up
> the version further to 5 which seems to make bigger changes. In contrast to
> version 3, version 4 supports ACLs which I think is a good thing.

There are many ways to implement ACLs; I'm not sure whether draft 04's
representation is sufficiently general. Moreover, I don't think sftp
should really aspire to be a universal remote filesystem protocol -
It condemns us to re-implement every feature of every filesystem and we
already have NFS for that :)

> In general version 4 seems to make the protocol more system
> independent (I guess that might be why 4 is implemented in apps used
> on Win...).

Yes, it added "text mode" transfers. This was one of the primary reasons
that we stopped tracking newer versions of the drafts - "text mode"
transfers are probably responsible for more corrupted files than all the
bit-errors in the FTP protocol's life.

-d