ControlMaster and packet stuffing

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Oct 5 04:58:54 EST 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 05:24:13PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> So this may be expected behaviour with no obvious workaround, other than
> not using ControlMaster when doing both interactive and sftp/scp to same
> host.

I'd say "this is expected behaviour" - the large packets (full of sftp/scp
data) will be in the same TCP data stream as your interactive packets.

So if the sftp packet gets delayed, the interactive typing will also get
delayed, as TCP will have to wait for all data to arrive to put it back
into proper sequence.

So - "don't do interactive and bulk transfers over the same TCP session".

gert

(I've seen a presentation by someone at 2007's SIGCOMM working on a
protocol to replace TCP, UDP, and SCTP that would permit this - have
multiple streams with different requirements inside one "data connection"
in parallel, but since then, I've never heard of this again...)

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de