petesea at bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Wed Sep 2 09:51:43 EST 2009

I'm randomly getting the following error on a server from various remote
hosts:

The server is running OpenSSH 4.5p1 w/GSSAPI Key Exchange patch.  The
hosts connecting to it should all be using OpenSSH 5.0p1 w/GSSAPI Key
Exchange patch and using gssapi-keyex authentication.

Normally, when I've seen this error, it means access to the SSH port is
blocked by TCP wrappers or something like that, but I'm sure that's not
the case here since /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny haven't changed
for quite some time.  Also, the failures are random from many different
remote hosts and I can try a connection from a host right after it's
failed and it will work.

Under what other conditions might I get this error and how can I track
down what's causing it?