Support for merging LPK and hpn-ssh into mainline openssh?

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Thu Sep 10 05:17:49 EST 2009

Damien Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Howard Chu wrote:
>
>> Damien Miller wrote:

>>> So, if you were thinking about it back in 2001 then why haven't you
>>> implemented it yet?

>> The lack of response from the IETF list indicated to me that the
>> likelihood of getting a protocol extension accepted/adopted was near
>> zero.

> Yeah, it sucks to have to actually do the work in making a wishlist
> item into a proposal that people can evaluate.

Given the existence of this feature in telnet, with its complete behavior
already spelled out in RFCs http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1184.txt the only thing
left is to map the command sequences into the ssh protocol, which can be
accomplished pretty mechanically. Actual implementations in the telnet context
have been available to evaluate for 2 decades. If you go back through the
comp.sources.unix archives from 1989 or so you'll also find the patches I
wrote to implement a local command history buffer (ala Gnu readline, but
obviously different since that didn't exist yet) for the telnet client.

If you need to evaluate how well the feature can work, and how much work it is
to implement it, then you already have all the information you need.

--
   -- Howard Chu