ProxyCommand not working if $SHELL not defined

Antonio Mignolli antoniomignolli at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 00:16:01 EST 2009

#ssh -V
OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008

Probably is not a real issue, because everyone should have its SHELL var
defined,
but as said above, when it's not, ssh with ProxyCommand will fail.
I use connect.c, but with no SHELL var defined is not executed, ssh -v
will give "No such file", and I'm pretty sure it refers to the shell,
I read in ChangeLog that now ProxyCommand will use $SHELL instead
of /bin/sh.
Maybe consider using /bin/sh as default when SHELL is not defined?

my .ssh/config

Host myhost
ProxyCommand connect -a none -S proxyIP myhost <myport>