openssh server and tun devices

Ralf Hack ralf.hack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:18:30 EST 2009

Hi Alex,
  interesting question...
  looking at the code, the connection is handled within the server as the fd
handle to the tunnel device, opened using sys_tun_open() then handed to the
channel_new() function. The allocation of the tunnel with 'any' appear to be
handled in sys_tun_open() by leaving the ifr.ifr_name empty. From there on
it is kernel specific. The linux kernel module will eventually assign the
interface id protected by a lock in drivers/net/tun.c
(tun_chr_ioct->...->dev_alloc_name). My guess is that  *BSD using open()
will work similar to this.

  So the tunnel device should be available in ifr.ifr_name ( i.e. tun0,
tun0, etc. ) in sys_tun_open(). At this point the struct is put on the stack
and destroyed of course when leaving sys_tun_open() but not before it is
printed for debugging purposes. The server does not appear to make use of
this information any further than that and relies on open(/dev/net/tun) to
be race condition free and to create a unique fd handle. Have you any reason
to believe that this is not the case ?

  As to the latter question - for the above reason the tunnel device is
probably not available anywhere to query. Would be nice though to see it in
when probing the server with "~#".

  Hope this helps.

Regards

Ralf.