Problems using sftp on HMC IBM system

William Adams wlarip at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:10:11 EST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:44 AM, Eduardo Otubo
<otubo at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I am having some problems using sftp to reach a HMC IBM system. The
> connection is suddenly closed and I don't why. Actually I don't know exactly
> how to read all these debug information. I would be very glad with any help
> on this topic. Here is the full debug output provided from the command
> execution:
>
> otubo at phoenix ~ $ sftp -vvv hscroot at skiper

> Connection closed

It might be useful to examine the account, hcsroot, and the IBM SSH
configuration.
In particular, if this account is root, is root logon permitted?
Also, this IBM SSH installation appears to have the SFTP subsystem
helper enabled.
How is it configured?

Generally, the IBM SSH daemon and its helpers will place their stdout
and stderr in /tmp
or the like. The SSH daemon can be configured to put out some verbose
error messages
(just as the client can) which will show you why the connection is being closed.