Limit number of connections per user?

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Fri Apr 16 11:02:44 EST 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Scott Neugroschl wrote:

> I'm working from modified 5.0p1 codebase.
>
> What I'm looking for is a mechanism to limit the number of
> simultaneous connections on a per-user/IP basis. That is, disallow
> multiple simultaneous logins/authentication of the same user from
> different IP addresses.

There isn't any way to do this at present and adding the ability would
be a little tricky. The master server would need to maintain some state
for each connection that is active so it can apply the rules.

I have vague plans to get the listening server maintaining similar state
for another reason (to track and act on frequent abnormal terminations),
so the infrastructure might happen eventually.

-d