Odd Size SSH data frame

Aris Adamantiadis aris.adamantiadis at belnet.be
Fri Apr 16 18:27:02 EST 2010

Hi Ashrith,

There are lots of reasons which could create that situation. First, as
you told, all SSH packets are multiple of the block size, which itself
is a multiple of 4. But all SSH packets do not end as-is in TCP packets.
TCP as a transport protocol can split SSH packets at will and
reconstruct them later. What you've seen may be happening because of
some firewall re-encoding the TCP stream, a certain host hitting a MTU
value, ...
The idea here is that one tcp packet does not always fit a SSH packet.

Aris

--
Aris Adamantiadis
Dept: customer at belnet.be