Call for testing: OpenSSH-5.6

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 10 06:21:44 EST 2010

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 13:22:29 -0500, Damien Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OpenSSH 5.6 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
> on as many platforms and systems as possible. This is a moderately large
> release, with a number of new features and bug fixes.
>
> Snapshot releases for portable OpenSSH are available from
> http://www.mindrot.org/openssh_snap/

Hi Damien,

In anticipation of this message, I had already begun testing. ;)

The current snapshot builds on RHEL 5, but fails
regress/login-timeout.sh. I was able to reproduce the problem several
times during the process of debugging, but am not able to do so at the
moment.

The problem was occurring between the test without privilege separation
and the one with it. The error indicated that port 4242 was in use,
although after the failure there were no stray sshd processes. And
netstat showed that the port was in a TIME_WAIT state.

I suspect that the issue is the explicit kill in login-timeout.sh. I
replaced it with a call to cleanup() and managed to complete the rest of
the tests.

13-${SSH} -F $OBJ/ssh_config somehost true
14-if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
15-	fail "ssh connect after login grace timeout failed with privsep"
16-fi
17-
18:$SUDO kill `cat $PIDFILE`
19-
20-trace "test login grace without privsep"
21-echo "UsePrivilegeSeparation no" >> $OBJ/sshd_config
22-start_sshd
23-

--
Iain Morgan