Fwd: Problem of updating openssh-4.4p1 to openssh-5.5p1 with MAX_ALLOW_USERS option

Акулов Алексей akulov-aa at ya.ru
Sat Dec 11 08:17:08 EST 2010

   Hello!

   > We have the server with RHEL 5.5 (64-bit) and need to connect many
   parallel users over ssh (OpenSSH).
   > Usually we use openssh-4.4p1, builded from the sources with changed
   "servconf.h" file by this type:
   >      #define MAX_ALLOW_USERS         10000     /* Max # users on
   allow list. */
   >      #define MAX_DENY_USERS            10000     /* Max # users on
   deny list. */
   >      #define MAX_ALLOW_GROUPS      10000     /* Max # groups on allow
   list. */
   >      #define MAX_DENY_GROUPS         10000     /* Max # groups on
   deny list. */

   > and configured with this additional options:
   > # ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --with-ipv4-default
   --with-pam --without-4in6 --without-zlib-version-check
   > # make
   > # make install.
   >
   > After compiling and restarting service ssh (# service sshd
   condrestart) we had possibility to connect many parallel users to our
   server.

   > Now we want to update a version of OpenSSH from openssh-4.4p1 to
   openssh-5.5p1 but have a problem with the maximum quantity of line
   "AllowUsers" in file "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" after such operations as we
   had done with openssh-4.4p1.
   > # service sshd restart
   > Stopping sshd:
                                                  [FAILED]
   > Starting sshd: /etc/ssh/sshd_config line 622: too many allow users.
               [FAILED]

   > What we do incorrect?
   >
   > Thanks.
   >
   > With the best regards, Alex.

   P.S.

   I duplicated this letter in UTF-8, at it was needed.

   -------- Пересылаемое сообщение --------
   10.12.10, 23:49, "Philip Prindeville"
   <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com>:
   Can you please post to english language mailing lists in UTF8 so you
   don't cause Spam filter False-Positive matches?
   Thanks.