ssh-import-id

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Thu Dec 16 05:48:21 EST 2010

--On 15 December 2010 12:01:22 -0600 Dustin Kirkland <kirkland at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Seeing the ssh-copy-id utility in SSH's contrib/ directory, I'm
> hopeful you might consider this ssh-import-id tool for the project.
> Before we get into reviewing the code, can you tell me if this is
> something that would, or would not be interesting to openssh upstream?

We'd use this if it took a username too, for a similar purpose. Currently
we pull keys out of xml and go through some convoluted perl to add them
to the right authorized_keys file of the right users, set the permissions
and ownerships right, etc., which is pretty fiddly, and not that safe when
someone next changes the desired permissions on authorized_keys, or uses
a different path specified by the config file, or whatever.

--
Alex Bligh