[openssh-portable] utmpx and ut_name

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Thu Jan 7 23:29:32 EST 2010

Hi all,

* Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
> The last couple of weeks I've been figuring out how hard it is to
> replace FreeBSD's <utmp.h> with <utmpx.h>. <snip>

I've also noticed something else that's a bit strange. From defines.h:

| #  if defined(UTMPX_FILE) && !defined(DISABLE_UTMPX)
| #    define USE_UTMPX
| #  endif

I've noticed some operating systems have UTMPX_FILE in <utmpx.h>,
pointing to the file name used by the utmpx implementation. I'd rather
not implement this, because the idea behind the utmpx API is to get rid
of direct file access. Is there a reason why OpenSSH uses this
definition?

In my experimental utmpx-branch in the FreeBSD SVN repository I've
changed the code to:

| #  if !defined(DISABLE_UTMPX)
| #    define USE_UTMPX
| #  endif