ssh(1) multiplexing rewrite

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Jan 29 21:30:52 EST 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Damien Miller wrote:
> I'm hoping to commit the attached version soon.

Will the rewritten mux code make it easy to add a ControlPersist option?

I currently use an unofficial patch that attempts to give the following
semantics, but that has some bugs dealing with ungracefully terminated
connections:

ControlPersist
     When used in conjunction with ControlMaster, specifies that the
     master connection should remain open in the background (waiting
     for future client connections) after the initial client connec-
     tion has been closed.  If set to ``no'', then the master connec-
     tion will not be placed into the background, and will close as
     soon as the initial client connection is closed.  If set to
     ``yes'', then the master connection will remain in the background
     indefinitely (until killed or closed via a mechanism such as the
     ssh(1) ``-O exit'' option).  If set to a time in seconds, or a
     time in any of the formats documented in sshd_config(5), then the
     backgrounded master connection will automatically terminate after
     it has remained idle (with no client connections) for the speci-
     fied time.

--apb (Alan Barrett)