sshd

Mark Janssen maniac.nl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 00:00:41 EST 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Angus Thorn <angusteno at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Dont know if its possible, can't find any info on the net, but i wanted to
> stop my sshd server from returning authntication failed messages to the
> clients. Example, a person tries to login and the user or password is
> incorrect, i dont want the server to say 'Received disconnect from IP Too
> many authentication failures for user'. Just return nothing as if its not
> there.

Looks to me to be a bit useles, as the server already responded by
issueing a SSH banner, negotiated encryption, negotiated acceptable
methods of authentication. You could probably just use something like
denyhosts, which will block that IP from connecting on it's next
attempt. Which will be done before the SSH banner is printed, so it
will appear to be completely gone/not there.

--
Mark Janssen  --  maniac(at)maniac.nl  --  pgp: 0x357D2178 |   ,''`.  |
Unix / Linux Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ Snow.nl |  : :' :  |