Record Failed Passwords

Robert Banz rob at nofocus.org
Wed Jul 21 07:45:14 EST 2010

This is probably a *really bad idea*(tm).

In logging failed passwords, you're opening up the potential to expose the
secrets of valid users. Many people innocently type the wrong password for
an account (like, their bank password instead of the one for your server),
or simply miss a character, or maybe just tried to log in with the wrong
account name and their real password.

The UNIX authentication stack is built so that even the administrator of a
machine has to jump through hoops to expose someone's password (like you're
suggesting doing here), please don't go down this road.

(back in the 'telnet' days, we used to consider it "bad" to log failed
usernames on login, since folks very regularly would type their password at
the wrong prompt -- then follow it up with a correct login from the same IP
-- making it obvious to collect passwords)