Why the limitation on Windows environnment introduced in OpenSSH 4.0?

kevin gurney kevin.gurney at oracle.com
Fri Nov 12 04:06:51 EST 2010

Hello all,

First off, thanks for all of your hard work on OpenSSH!

I recently updated our SSH infrastructure from OpenSSH 3.8.1p1 to Cygwin
1.7 (which includes OpenSSH 5.4p1) and noticed that when running
commands via ssh on my Windows machines I no longer have access to the
full set of Windows environment variables.

Digging through source, I see that this change was introduced in v4.0
(the "fetch_windows_environment()" function in
openbsd-compat/bsd-cygwin_util.c).

Can anyone shed light on why this was thought to be a "bug" needing
fixing? And, more importantly, is there a way to work around this? Our
build system relies on having access to the full set of Windows
environment variables such as those created by software package
installations. Having a very restricted Windows environment is causing
us a ton of grief. The only workable solution we have found is to use a
~/.ssh/environment file on each of our Windows build machines. Not my
preferred solution however.

Thanks,
Kevin Gurney
--