File Offsets for SCP (patch)

rapier rapier at psc.edu
Tue Nov 23 05:49:34 EST 2010

It's really a user interface issue. We're trying to minimize the
complexity so we don't have to keep explaining to our users how to do
things. While we have some really smart users they're more familiar with
climate modeling than dd. Eventually we hope to use this with a manager
application to chunk TB+ size files so we can more them in parallel
(possibly dmover). We we have get close to 1Gb speeds transcontinental
now with SSH we run into the slow start issue. By parallelizing the
transfer even if we hit congestion we don't spend as much time in slow
start in aggregate. In that case using dd may make more sense over all.

However, for right now if we have a user that drops the connection 90%
of the way through a 2 day file transfer this ends up being a useful
tool for them (which what happened last last week).

Really, though it's just something we found useful which I thought to share.