new option ssh-add -v to verify if key is loaded into the agent

Cyrille Lefevre cyrille.lefevre-lists at laposte.net
Fri Apr 8 07:43:26 EST 2011

Le 07/04/2011 23:20, Daniel Kahn Gillmor a écrit :
> On 04/07/2011 03:12 AM, Konrad Bucheli wrote:
>> In a shell script I need to verify if a key belonging to a given public
>> key file is already loaded into the agent. To achieve this, I added a
>> new option -v to ssh-add which does this verification.
>
> Couldn't this already be implemented by grepping the output of
> ssh-add -L ?  Is there a compelling need to introduce (and maintain) a
> new command-line argument for this?

Hi,

one implemented, there is nothing to do.
also, think performance, ssh-add -v xxx vs ssh-add -L | grep ...$
1 process vs 2 processes, even if negligeable, it's 1 fork less.
2 years ago, I've rewritten a script to use ssh control master,
I win 20+ % on a 100% PCU usage, the server wasn't changed...

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre-lists at laposte.net