ssh-copy-id -p port option

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Dec 21 11:12:00 EST 2011

Jameson Graef Rollins wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > If a non-standard port is needed then typically people configure this
> > option in their ssh config file.  Do that once and it is done
> > everywhere.  Is there a reason not to do that for ssh-copy-id too?
>
> I would say that it is not particularly helpful to have to add a stanza
> to the config for an operation that probably only needs to be done
> once.

Are you really only ever going to do this once?  If so then why go to
the trouble of installing a key?  Going to the trouble of installing a
key implies to me that this will be a repeat visit.

In a situation where a non-standard port is required I don't think
that always needing to type the port number on the command line is
particularly nice either.

Bob