Possible ssh -D bug in 5.8p1 (on Gentoo Linux)

Brother Railgun of Reason alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Feb 8 03:25:16 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:26:08PM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> OpenSSH 5.8 has just been released. It will be available from the
> mirrors listed at http://www.openssh.com/ shortly.

I seem to have found a bug in 5.8p1.

I work remotely, and use three SSH tunnels, two of the form ssh -L
port:host:destport -f -N -q -l remoteuser remotehost, and one of the
form ssh -D port -f -C -q -N -l remoteuser remotehost, the latter a web
tunnel that I may access any of several web hosts through.  When I
upgraded to OpenSSH 5.8p1 this morning, the ssh -D tunnel ceased to
work; it would connect correctly, then stop responding within 30 seconds
to a minute, and the ssh process would not die on a SIGTERM, requiring a
SIGKILL.  When I backed out to 5.7p1 and restarted my tunnels again, the
ssh -D tunnel worked again.  The two ssh -L tunnels continued to work
normally.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.