Feature Request: Plugin Model for authorizing public keys

Mark Cavage mark.cavage at joyent.com
Thu Feb 10 03:26:55 EST 2011

The purpose of this patch was to enable cases where there is not a
Kerberos deployment to manage keys centrally.  So, I don't view this
and the kex patch as mutually exclusive.

I read through the bugzilla report regarding AuthorizedKeysCommand;
while my personal preference for this sort of mechanism is an
in-process plugin, I'm obviously not on the core team and have no real
concerns about that.  I do think the semantics are not what I would
have expected though, as having the facility to effectively generate
an authorized_keys file on the fly is almost achievable with some
clever crons anyway.  I would make the case that the functionality I
would want to see would be a process version of what I proposed
originally; that is given a key/user pair, a boolean value is returned
back to sshd.  Also, I would want the existing authorized_keys file
checks to run first, not later, since with distributed deployments I
tend to think of per-host rules as overrides, as opposed to fallbacks.
 I won't argue as strongly on the second point however.

What is the status/thoughts on the AuthorizedKeyCommand patch going
into mainline?  If it's already blessed and going to get merged in I
can go ahead and create a patch off of that patch (assuming there is
agreement to my proposal above); the ticket is over a year old though
and being new to the list I don't know where that stands.

~Mark