ssh 'connection reset by peer' problem since 5.8p1

Oren Held oren at held.org.il
Thu Feb 17 08:15:35 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 01:42:45AM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
> On 17/02/11 12:52 AM, Oren Held wrote:
> [...]
> >One more note: the problem occurs when SSHing to *older* servers (I tried 4.3p2,
> >5.1p1). When SSHing to v5.8p1 it works smoothly.
>
> I have tried to reproduce with fresh-built 4.3p1 and 5.1p1 servers
> and failed.  Are the servers configured with any non-default options
> or source code changes?

New findings: it happens only when compiling and running *the server* on relatively old environments:
e.g. RedHat 5.5, and I think that also Debian Lenny (5.0.8).

While the client is running on a new environment (Debian sid, aka unstable)

It even happened when connecting from 5.8p1 on my Debian unstable to 5.8p1 (same
version!) on RHEL5.5.

- Both are x86_64 OSes.
- Both were vanilla openssh that I compiled by myself with no special compile parameters.
- (Server) Happened even when sshd_config was empty but also with the default RHEL one
- (Client) happened with empty ~/.ssh and no /etc/ssh_config

I'm starting to suspect it has to do with some library and not openssh itself.
ldd spotted some notable difference:
Server is linked to libcrypto.so.6 (RHEL5 default)
Client is linkde to libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (Debian sid default)