ssh 'connection reset by peer' problem since 5.8p1

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 22:34:48 EST 2011

On Feb 17 01:30, Oren Held wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:15:35PM +0200, Oren Held wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 01:42:45AM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
> > > On 17/02/11 12:52 AM, Oren Held wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I have tried to reproduce with fresh-built 4.3p1 and 5.1p1 servers
> > > and failed.  Are the servers configured with any non-default options
> > > or source code changes?
>
> [...]
> >
> > I'm starting to suspect it has to do with some library and not openssh itself.
> > ldd spotted some notable difference:
> > Server is linked to libcrypto.so.6 (RHEL5 default)
> > Client is linkde to libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (Debian sid default)
>
> Additionally, I've refined the diff's: 5.6p1 connects perfectly well to all
> ssh servers, the problem begins with 5.7p1.

As an additional datapoint, we had a couple of similar bug reports after
I upgraded openssh in the Cygwin distro to 5.7p1 and then 5.8p1.  One of
them even comes with a set of debug output of working (5.6p1) and
non-working (5.8p1) connection attempts:

Another one just shows the output of a failed attempt:

However, I tried with various older versions of SSH running on Cygwin,
Linux and Solaris to connect from 5.8p1 myself, and I'm unable to
reproduce this problem.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen