ssh-askpass should be able to distinguish between a prompt for confirmation and a prompt for an actual passphrase

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Feb 25 15:11:40 EST 2011

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> there are a lot of negatives here, Peter, so i'm having a hard time
> parsing what you mean.

:)

> I think you're saying "I want to be able to just hit enter without
> having to focus on the prompt."  Is that right?

Right.

> I think jamie's proposal is that it would take focus (like most new
> windows do)

Strictly focus follows mouse here on my desktop, with the exception
of x11-ssh-askpass.

> but that it wouldn't "grab the keyboard"

I'm not sure that this works the way I would like. (For me.)

> So, for example, if you are using confirmation prompting
> (ControlMaster=ask) for already-established connections to hosts a
> and b, and you do:
>
>  scp -3 a:foo b:bar

Understand the problem. I don't use this, but I see what you mean.

> Then two prompts come up concurrently.  If they're both trying to grab
> the keyboard, one of them (at least) must lose, which is considered a
> "cancel" by every ssh-askpass implementation i've seen.

Is the solution to proxy askpass invocations through a serializer?

//Peter