problem with tunnels

obb33 at verizon.net obb33 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 26 01:44:14 EST 2011

I use ssh tunnels extensively. recently I upgraded my linux kernel from
2.6.18 to 2.6.37 and a problem with tunnels has resulted.

prior to the upgrade use of ssh tunN  devices was rock solid.

the problem manifests as the tunnel from  the initiator end ceasing to
transfer data to the remote after a quantity of data is sent. it is
necessary to create a new tunnel after destroying the old to get data to
flow again, which after time jams also.

i tested this with linux kernels back to 2.6.31 and they all have the
problem.however, tunnels opened TO systems using these kernels work fine
from the 2.6.18 kernel system, but if the initiator side is any of the above
kernels the data flow jam occurs.

what's weird about this is that the remote end can still send data that is