Call for testing: OpenSSH-5.7

Steve Marquess marquess at opensslfoundation.com
Fri Jan 21 04:09:21 EST 2011

Jan Pechanec wrote:

>> 1) We should really avoid CTR mode entirely, it's not FIPS approved and the
>> validated CBC can be used instead.
>>

> 	hi Steve, are you talking about FIPS certified OpenSSL or about
> the mode as such? I know that OpenSSL does not support AES CTR in EVP
> (not until 1.0.1, I saw a commit there) but FIPS-140-2 Annex A
> references 800-38A which lists CTR mode as one of the allowed modes. So,
> I assumed AES CTR was allowed in FIPS-140-2 and that it just can't be
> used in FIPS-140-2 mode in OpenSSH since OpenSSH partially implements
> the mode by itself.

Well, use of CTR is arguably legal but IMHO questionable.  AES-CTR is
not included in the #1051 validation (see
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cavp/documents/aes/aesval.html#695), and
there is no compelling reason to use it (with or without FIPS 140-2).

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
The OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.