Generate SSH1 host key by default?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 31 23:05:34 EST 2011

> the OpenSSH installation script for Cygwin still creates a SSH1 host key
> by default.
>
> My question is, wouldn't it make more sense to drop all auto-generation
> of SSH1 keys from the default installation procedure?  I mean, nobody
> should use SSH1 anymore, right?  Or should the script stick to it for
> some reason?

Although the server now defaults to not enabling SSH1 for new installs
(and has for a couple of releases) the client could conceivably need an
SSH1 key, eg for RhostsRSAAuthentication.  The admin could also enable
Protocol 1 in the server (although it might be reasonable to give them
the responsibility of creating the key in that case).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.