sshd and .bashrc

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Jul 2 05:01:54 EST 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Mark Bartelt wrote:

> One could fault the distributors of "bash", for not making the
> "#define SSH_SOURCE_BASHRC" a default.  But even so, I really
> don't understand why having sshd's default be _not_ to define
> USE_PIPES wouldn't be sensible, letting people define it when
> their environment requires it.

No, we need pipes to properly support half-closed semantics in some
cases that matter to the protocol (these are discussed in the archives).
We should probably probably garbage-collect the dead socketpair code
some time, but it is definitely not a knob we want users to play with.

bash was doing the wrong thing varying its behaviour based on the
type of fd it was talking to, so please turn your attention there.

-d